Keele residents will be shocked to learn that the Post Office based in the Students’ Union may close as a result of changes by Post Office Ltd following privatisation.
Under the planned changes, Keele’s post office would be downgraded with the loss of substantial services which would leave the Post Office unviable.
Local Councillor Tony Kearon has started a community campaign to try and convince Post Office Ltd to reconsider their decision and secure a future for the much-loved and well-used community asset.
Tony said: “Together I believe that we can convince Post Office Ltd to think again and I am determined to fight for our Post Office. “
What Tony Kearon and the local community have done so far:-
- Started a petition which already has 1000 signatures. It can be signed in person at The Sneyd Arms or online HERE
- Set up a Facebook group to help inform and organise the community
- Contacted local MP, Paul Farrelly, who has raised the matter with Keele’s Vice-Chancellor.
- Arranged to meet with the University Reps, Parish Council members and others to look for a way forward.
- Door-knocked residents on Campus to inform them of the plans and collected signatures on the petition.
- Spoken with Newcastle Borough Council officers and Tony is taking a motion to the Full Council in November asking for the Council’s backing.
- Tony is arranging a public meeting for all Keele residents to discuss next steps.
There are lots of ways you can help:
Sign the Petition - paper copy or online.
Tell your neighbours and friends to support the campaign
Join the Facebook group - ‘SAVE KEELE PO’
Attend a public meeting - details will be out shortly.